My Favorites

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Writing Ideas - Other Writing

4 July 2013, Writing Ideas - Other Writing

Announcement: My novels Sister of Light and Sister of Darkness are about to be published. I write this blog about 2 months prior to its publication. I just heard that the proofs will be here soon--likely before the end of the week. My publisher also wants to put the entire set of novels based on Aegypt on contract--that's 5 more novels for 8 total. They also want to put my other novels on contract. The release schedule should be one novel every 2 months. I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

Here are my rules of writing:

1. Entertain your readers.
2. Don't confuse your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.

I don't just write fiction. I also write technical papers and aviation histories. Because the government can claim to own any writing done in your primary field of work and training, I wrote historical fiction and science fiction while I worked for them. When I retired from the Air Force, I began to write aviation history. My aviation histories are in a special section at www.wingsoverkansas.com, called "Military Aviation Adventures." They are all true, but the names have been changed to protect the guilty. Most of them are my own experiences. I also write an aviation blog. I make an entry every time I fly an aircraft (as the pilot and not as a passenger). You can reach the blog through www.wingsoverkansas.com and from www.ldalford.com and www.lionelalford.com. My technical writing is about aviation, aerospace engineering, cyberwar, and flight test. You can see the links from technical writing at www.ldalford.com. There is a whole bunch of other stuff I have written out on the web and a few pertinent articles on my website. In general, I don't self publish on the web, although, I am posting these blogs. Something new goes up nearly every day. If you friend me on FB, you will see my announcements when new pieces are published.

See more writing secrets at www.ldalford.com.

For more information, you can visit my author site www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel, http://www.centurionnovel.com, www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, thefoxshonor, aseasonofhonor.

No comments:

Post a Comment