Introduction: I realized that I need to introduce this blog a little. I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. The working title was Daemon, and this was my 21st novel. Over the last year, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel.
I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way. At this moment, I'm showing you the marketing material I put together for a novel.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, go to my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.
Your publisher will eventually want your completed manuscript, plus some other information. This is what they will ask about. If they don't ask for this information, you need to have it ready and provide it.
1. The dedication. This is usually a single page at the front of the novel. Make it thoughtful--you can see examples in any modern novel.
2. The acknowledgement list. Don't over do this. I've seen whole pages dedicated to this list. I put a short list of acknowledgements on the copyright page. I include my prepub readers and those who helped with the preparation of the novel. This should be personal and specific and not general and all inclusive.
3. The artwork in your novel.
4. Lexicons (if any).
5. Endorsements (if any),
6. Title page
7. Prologue (if any)
8. About the author (bio about yourself and why you wrote the book)
9. An author photograph (at least 300 dpi and preferably at least a 4 x 6 size; we like to crop in on neck/shoulders so readers can see your face).
10. Current address, email address, and phone number
11. Cover ideas
Tomorrow, I'll give you details on what they will ask you for.
I'll repeat my published novel websites so you can see more examples: http://www.ldalford.com/, and the individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel.com/, http://www.centurionnovel.com/, http://www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, http://www.thefoxshonor.com/, and http://www.aseasonofhonor.com/.