My Favorites

Friday, February 27, 2015

Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 323, Ancient Light more First Paragraphs Initial Scene

27 February 2015, Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 323, Ancient Light more First Paragraphs Initial Scene

Announcement: My new novels should be available from any webseller or can be ordered from any brick and mortar bookstore.  Information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my 25th novel, working title, Escape, is this: a girl in a fascist island nation will do anything to escape--a young cargo shuttle pilot not following the rules crashes on the island.

Here is the cover proposal for Lilly: Enchantment and the Computer
Cover Propsal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene.  I'm writing about the initial scene of my newest novel, "Escape."  Escape is the working title.  I'll decide on the proposed title when I finish the novel.  I'm at the eleventh chapter right now.  That means I've written about 220 pages.

The entertainment (and excitement) should start with the first sentence and paragraph and grow to envelope the first scene.  Let's compare the excitement and entertainment I'm recommending with some of my published novels.  As I grew as a writer, my awareness of the importance of the first paragraph grew.  It's one thing to be taught or realize and another to implement.  Next example the first paragraph from, Children of Light and Darkness:

Kathrin McClellan tugged at her soggy blouse.  She was already soaked, and the sun had barely crested the hills or the jungle treetops.  The rain forest was heavy and green, bursting with vitality.  Insects, birds, and larger animals already lifted up their repetitious calls with the rising sun.  The aroma of the jungle was pervasive, and to Kathrin’s nose, everything, seemed thick and cloying.  It was only made worse by the constant heat.  Kathrin was not immune to the smells yet either—the fragrance and the heat.  The air was so full of moisture each breath seemed like it tried to strangle her.  She was reminded of the steam baths in Finland, but here, there was no opportunity to run out into the cold and dive into a freezing pool of water.  There wasn’t any air conditioning here to escape for a little while from the oppressive grip of the heat, and the nighttime didn’t offer any relief either.  At night, the place was dark and hot.  Ugh, she hated it.  It was so different from her native Scotland, and from her adopted land of England.  Kathrin liked some of the food and the people.  She liked to travel, and she enjoyed the experience, but she was just not used to the heat.  James encouraged her and told her to keep at it.  If they weren’t here on a job, she would have left a week ago.  But it was a job.  See the world, the recruiting posters said—well she had seen a lot of it, and this was about the only piece she didn’t like much at all.

Children of Light and Darkness is a yet unpublished and uncontracted novel in the Ancient Light series.  It is the novel that follows Shadow of Light.   

This novel begins with implied action, character introduction, and scene setting.  I love this novel beginning.  This is one of my best first paragraphs--in my opinion.  Although the action is subdued, this paragraph is swimming in mystery, excitement, and entertainment.  Just reading it makes me want to take out the novel and go to town.  Just reading it makes me want to go find out about Kathrin and James again.  I know what is going to happen, and I still would like to re-experience that action and adventure. 

As you can imagine, I really like this novel.  It is one of my reader's favorites, and I think I can put together a very fine novel.  The way I describe my novels are from suspenseful and tense to fun and inviting.  I like to mix it up so the reader fully enjoys the experience of the reading.  I also like surprise turns and wonderful conversations that don't come out exactly as you might expect.

Back to the initial paragraph, I'll say it--even though there isn't much action in this initial paragraph, I think this is an excellent first paragraph and one that would encourage a publisher or reader to read the rest of the novel.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment