My Favorites

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 325, Ancient Light more Warrior First Paragraphs Initial Scene

1 March 2015, Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 325, Ancient Light more Warrior First Paragraphs Initial Scene

Announcement: My new novels should be available from any webseller or can be ordered from any brick and mortar bookstore.  Information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my 25th novel, working title, Escape, is this: a girl in a fascist island nation will do anything to escape--a young cargo shuttle pilot not following the rules crashes on the island.

Here is the cover proposal for Lilly: Enchantment and the Computer
Cover Propsal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene.  I'm writing about the initial scene of my newest novel, "Escape."  Escape is the working title.  I'll decide on the proposed title when I finish the novel.  I'm at the twelfth chapter right now.  That means I've written about 240 pages.

The entertainment (and excitement) should start with the first sentence and paragraph and grow to envelope the first scene.  Let's compare the excitement and entertainment I'm recommending with some of my published novels.  As I grew as a writer, my awareness of the importance of the first paragraph grew.  It's one thing to be taught or realize and another to implement.  Next example the first paragraph from, Warrior of Darkness:

Rain sizzled across the broken concrete.  The black skies drained dark cold drops and sprinkled frozen bits of ice.  They touched Klava Diakonov’s skin and numbed her cheeks and fingers.  A blast of lightning cascaded across the heavens.  She could not see it with her eyes.  Still, she wrapped her black scarf more tightly over her face and pulled her dirty black coat closer.  In spite of that, the blaze of light touched her senses and blinded them for a moment.

Warrior of Darkness is a yet unpublished and uncontracted novel in the Ancient Light series.  It is the novel that follows Warrior of Light.   

Here is an example of a great first paragraph.  It includes action, scene setting, character introduction, and mystery.  There is also a touch of art.  The simple paragraph brings great questions with it--why can't Klava see; what is she doing out in a storm; why is her coat dirty; why are her clothes black.  This is also character revelation. 

I think I'll give you some more examples from my novels, but I'll wrap up Ancient Light.  Although I did write another Ancient Light novel, it's really a complete stand alone.  Valeska: Enchantment and the Vampire uses the world and the characters from Ancient Light

What you want in an initial paragraph is something that will catch the attention of your potential publisher or reader.  You want to get their heart beating and the blood pumping.  You'd like them to read the first paragraph and need to buy the book just to find out how the mystery is solved.  You might say: I don't write mystery novels.  I don't either.  Every novel is some kind of revelation of a mystery--that's the plot.  Their must be some secret, something unknown that drives every novel.  Every novel should be filed with secrets and mystery--that is the entertainment revealed in the plot.  The point is to begin that mystery at the very beginning.  No prologue, no back story, no build up--bang right in the kisser.  Bring entertainment and excitement and mystery right up front and start with the first paragraph.  I assure you, your writing will improve and your chances for publication will increase.     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment