My Favorites

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Writing Ideas - Writing Historical Fiction, part 12 Conclusions (for now)

30 July 2013, Writing Ideas - Writing Historical Fiction, part 12 Conclusions (for now)

Announcement: My novels Sister of Light and Sister of Darkness are about to be published. I write this blog about 2 months prior to its publication. I just heard that the proofs will be here soon--likely before the end of the week. My publisher also wants to put the entire set of novels based on Aegypt on contract--that's 5 more novels for 8 total. They also want to put my other novels on contract. The release schedule should be one novel every 2 months. I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

I decided that it is time to conclude this series about writing historical fiction and turn to writing about science fiction. I do write in both genres. I hope you discovered that all fiction writing requires immersion in the world you are writing about. Historical fiction isn't as much a special genre of fiction as much as it is a special discipline of fiction. The author must be disciplined enough to become steeped in the culture and history of the times he writes about, and he must be able to communicate that past world to his readers. Further, an author must not compromise the ideas and cultures of the past to make it feel-good to modern mores. When an author does this due to lack of discipline or knowledge, then he isn't writing historical fiction anymore. Plus, it is kind of stupid to write about the past with the blinders of the present. Such writing cannot stand the test of time and such writing can't enlighten the next generation.  A generation that really wishes to know what the world was like. Such writing is like an Oliver Stone movie--a docudrama about a time that never was and never could be.

So, again, my five personal rules of writing I have articulated thus far:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing - colliery: immerse your readers in the world of your writing.

The fifth "rule" was my main concern in these twelve short articles. This rule is pertinent to all writing. It is critical to historical fiction, but in historical fiction, the "world" must reflect some strong degree of reality. What I want to do next is move to the next obvious point--about worlds that reflect little reality to the past or the modern world. The how to of science fiction. We will expand on this concept of immersion there.

For more information, you can visit my author site www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel.com/, http://www.centurionnovel.com, www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, thefoxshonor, aseasonofhonor.

No comments:

Post a Comment