My Favorites

Friday, August 23, 2013

Writing Ideas - Writing Science Fiction, part 23 the Part not Described

23 August 2013, Writing Ideas - Writing Science Fiction, part 23 the Part not Described

Announcement: My novels Sister of Light and Sister of Darkness are about to be published. I write this blog about 2 months prior to its publication. I just heard that the proofs will be here soon--likely before the end of the week. My publisher also wants to put the entire set of novels based on Aegypt on contract--that's 5 more novels for 8 total. They also want to put my other novels on contract. The release schedule should be one novel every 2 months. I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

We are finishing up the items of a character that are revealed.  I started with the physical and moved to the name.  The name and the physical description (including clothing etc.) are the things you are allowed to describe about a character.  Now, we need to move to those thing which you can only show and not describe.

We have touched them more than once, and through the creation of a name, we have begun the process of character development.  That process is the building of the actual character.  Just as you are a name and a physical being, every character is a name and a physical being.  The physical is the part described--in the sense of life, it is the part the viewer can see.  It is the part of the character that is revealed just by walking out on the stage. 

Think of a stage play--this is one of the main ways I like to write about novels.  The setting is the stage; this is what the author of a novel should be happy to describe.  The characters are the actors; this is another obvious part the author should describe.  Like the stage play, their descriptions are obvious and should be immediately given.  The name likewise is a proper handle for a character.  In most stage plays, the author announces the names of the characters immediately.  This is the character of a stage play and a critical skill in the author of a play.

The next part is the part not described.

Also remember, I'm trying to show you and give you examples of how to write a science fiction theme statement and turn it into a plot.

For more information, you can visit my author site www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel.com/, http://www.centurionnovel.com, www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, www.thefoxshonor.com, www.aseasonofhonor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment