My Favorites

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Writing Ideas - Vampire Novel, part 149, more real Truth Revelation Writing skills how to develop Storyline, Entertaining, Rising Action

6 September 2014, Writing Ideas - Vampire Novel, part 149, more real Truth Revelation Writing skills how to develop Storyline, Entertaining, Rising Action

Announcement: We are in the countdown phase for the publication of my new novels.  The date on the internet is 1 September.  We will see how close we come, or if the publishers meet the deadline.  My Aegypt novels will be titled Ancient Light, and the next two books will be called Sister of Light  and  Sister of Darkness.  These were the original titles.  They will be released individually and as a 3 in 1 volume.  The proposed cover and info can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my newest novel, Valeska, is this: An agent of the organization becomes involved with a vampire girl during a mission, she becomes dependent on the agent, and she is redeemed.

Here is my proposed cover for Valeska:
I decided on a white cover style.  You can see more at www.GoddessofDarkness.com.

I'll mention the showing method of character development and revelation again just to get the point across.  First, you develop the character.  I start with a physical description, and give the character a name that fits the theme and plot of the novel.  Then I develop the history of the character.  Once these steps are complete, I can begin to reveal the character in the novel. 

Second, when the character is introduced, I give a sufficient description based on the total description of the character.  You only describe what can be "seen" by other characters in a scene.  Therefore, the fact a character has a mole on their chest is immaterial unless they are shirtless.  You only show what can be seen on the "stage" of your novel.  Whatever the involvement of your characters, you only reveal what is reasonable and knowable.  For example, when people meet there is a natural exchange of information.  The author guides these exchanges.

Third, the author controls the intimacy and depth of the revelation in the novel.  Since the purpose of a novel is to reveal the protagonist and usually the protagonist's helper, the author needs to place them in circumstance that allows them to reveal themselves.  The means can be conversation, exploration, discovery, other's conversation, confession, accidental discovery.  I think it would be a good idea to discuss each of these revelation methods.  The revelation of the characters is never wholly or completely known.  The author never reveals omnisciently, but rather through the eyes, ears, mouths, etc. of the novel's characters.

Fourth,  the novel progresses with revelation as an integral part of the development (revelation) of the plot.  The character revelation follows and integrates with the plot.  The revelation of the character details their telic flaw and the plot provides a path of crisis that can only end with the character overcoming or being defeated by their telic flaw.

Fifth, the crisis of the climax leads to the near final revelation as the protagonist confronts her/his telic flaw and either succeeds or fails gloriously.

Sixth, we learn in the falling action and dénouement what the climax's importance was within the context of the novel and the author ties up the loose ends..

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:
http://www.aegyptnovel.com/
http://www.centurionnovel.com
http://www.thesecondmission.com/
http://www.theendofhonor.com/
http://www.thefoxshonor.com
http://www.aseasonofhonor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment