My Favorites

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 335, moving Picture Escape Initial Scene

11 March 2015, Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 335, moving Picture Escape Initial Scene

Announcement: My new novels should be available from any webseller or can be ordered from any brick and mortar bookstore.  Information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my 25th novel, working title, Escape, is this: a girl in a fascist island nation will do anything to escape--a young cargo shuttle pilot not following the rules crashes on the island.

Here is the cover proposal for Lilly: Enchantment and the ComputerLilly is my 24th novel.
Cover Proposal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene.  I'm writing about the initial scene of my newest novel, "Escape."  Escape is the working title.  I'll decide on the proposed title when I finish the novel.  I'm at the fifteenth chapter right now.  That means I've written about 300 pages.

The picture looks like this:  a girl on the ground who will do anything to escape her country; a pilot high overhead in an cargo shuttle that is about to have an engine failure; and an island nation called Freedom that isn't free at all.  Now the author sets it all in action.

First paragraph, scene setting, character setting, action...this is the way I begin to write any and every novel.  I haven't told you how I spent hours on character development or scene development--that is all part of developing the initial scene, the novel, and the characters.  The way I set this scene into motion was basically to write separately about the two characters until they came together.  Once they were together, the world could run apace.  I split the scene, the events, and the settings intentionally for thematic and artistic reasons.  I do try to make the writing in my novels seem fresh and clean--not stuffy.  The way I do this is to try to keep out any pretentious language or constructions.  I don't really care if my readers think of my writing as literary as long as they enjoy it.  By splitting the scene between the two main characters, I can physically separate them and still focus the writing on them.  I can accentuate the idea of their separation, and I can create the idea of tension as they are brought hurdlingly together.  Tension in a scene is critical to any scene, and this is one way to develop tension in a scene.  I'll give an example tomorrow and bring the two together.  I will also look at their initial conversation to help show how to write conversation.      

No comments:

Post a Comment