My Favorites

Monday, June 1, 2015

Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 417, Internal Characters Applying Creativity and Entertainment in Scenes Developing the Rising Action

1 June 2015, Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 417, Internal Characters Applying Creativity and Entertainment in Scenes Developing the Rising Action

Announcement: Delay, my new novels can be seen on the internet, but the publisher has delayed all their fiction output due to the economy.  I'll keep you informed.  More information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:
1.  The initial scene (the beginning)
2.  The rising action
3.  The climax
4.  The falling action
5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my 25th novel, working title, Escape, is this: a girl in a fascist island nation will do anything to escape--a young cargo shuttle pilot not following the rules crashes on the island.

Here is the cover proposal for Lilly: Enchantment and the ComputerLilly is my 24th novel.
Cover Proposal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene, but eventually, you have to move to the rising action.  I've just started on the next major run-through of my novel, Escape.

I'm an advocate of using the/a scene input/output method to drive the rising action--in fact, to write any novel. 

Scene development:
1.  Scene input (easy)
2.  Scene output (a little harder)
3.  Scene setting (basic stuff)
4.  Creativity (creative elements of the scene)
5.  Tension (development of creative elements to build excitement)
6.  Release (climax of creative elements)

I can immediately discern three ways to invoke creativity:

1.  History extrapolation
2.  Technological extrapolation
3.  Intellectual extrapolation

Creativity is like an extrapolation of what has been.  It is a reflection of something new created with ties to the history, science, and logic (the intellect).  Creativity requires consuming, thinking, and producing. 

The most critical aspects of a character are those internal.  These are the aspects that are never described in a novel.  Internal characteristics must be shown and not ever told.  Let me repeat, don't ever tell or describe a character's internal characteristics. 

Yesterday, I described some of the internal characteristics of the character I am writing about.  For example, she isn't very bright.  She isn't mentally retarded, she's just on the back end of the human average.  She represents the lower side of half the people you have ever met.  She might say she is stupid and unlike most people like her, might really believe she isn't bright.  I will show her level of intelligence through her actions and through her words.  She has internal turmoil.  I will show her internal turmoil an have her talk about her internal turmoil. 

I'll remind you--in human society, all humans are evil and all humans have evil desires.  The point of culture and society (government) is to both control human evil and provide a means for human interaction (generally trade) without death and destruction.  I mentioned the means of human (self) control.  First, a person's strength of will and self-control.  Second, their religious faith (that is considering a moralistic and ethical religion).  Third, their culture.  Fourth, their fear of punishment. 

The point of creativity is to look at or express these ideas in a new way. 

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:


fiction, theme, plot, story, storyline, character development, scene, setting, conversation, novel, book, writing, information, study, marketing, tension, release, creative, idea 

No comments:

Post a Comment