My Favorites

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Writing - part x671, Submissions

8 November 2018, Writing - part x671, Submissions

Announcement: Delay, my new novels can be seen on the internet, but my primary publisher has gone out of business—they couldn’t succeed in the past business and publishing environment.  I'll keep you informed, but I need a new publisher.  More information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.
The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:
1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
     4a. Show what can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted on the stage of the novel.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.
These are the steps I use to write a novel including the five discrete parts of a novel:

1.      Design the initial scene
2.      Develop a theme statement (initial setting, protagonist, protagonist’s helper or antagonist, action statement)
a.       Research as required
b.      Develop the initial setting
c.       Develop the characters
d.      Identify the telic flaw (internal and external)
3.      Write the initial scene (identify the output: implied setting, implied characters, implied action movement)
4.      Write the next scene(s) to the climax (rising action)
5.      Write the climax scene
6.      Write the falling action scene(s)
7.      Write the dénouement scene
I finished writing my 29th novel, working title, Detective, potential title Blue Rose: Enchantment and the Detective.  The theme statement is: Lady Azure Rose Wishart, the Chancellor of the Fae, supernatural detective, and all around dangerous girl, finds love, solves cases, breaks heads, and plays golf.  
Here is the cover proposal for Blue Rose: Enchantment and the Detective
Cover Proposal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene, but eventually, you have to move to the rising action. I am continuing to write on my 30th novel, working title Red Sonja.  I finished my 29th novel, working title Detective.  I’m planning to start on number 31, working title Shifter
How to begin a novel.  Number one thought, we need an entertaining idea.  I usually encapsulate such an idea with a theme statement.  Since I’m writing a new novel, we need a new theme statement.  Here is an initial cut.

For novel 30:  Red Sonja, a Soviet spy, infiltrates the X-plane programs at Edwards AFB as a test pilot’s administrative clerk, learns about freedom, and is redeemed.

For novel 31:  TBD 

Here is the scene development outline:

1. Scene input (comes from the previous scene output or is an initial scene)
2. Write the scene setting (place, time, stuff, and characters)
3. Imagine the output, creative elements, plot, telic flaw resolution (climax) and develop the tension and release.
4. Write the scene using the output and creative elements to build the tension.
5. Write the release
6. Write the kicker
          
Today:  Enough research—time to get down to business.  My business is writing, and I want to be writing.  Unfortunately, my publisher went out of business and now I have to find a new publisher. 

I have a great writing friend who encountered exactly this same problem—his publisher went out of business.  That isn’t as uncommon as you might think for writers and publishers.  He took it in stride and decided to self-publish his novels.  This isn’t necessarily a bad idea for a proven writer.  He has proven that his skills can be applied commercially, he understands the business, and he knows how to write and produce a finished product.  I understand precisely why he decided to go this route, but this is not my choice.

My expertise is writing, and I don’t claim any other in this business.  I would still like to have a publisher take the risk of production, publication, marketing, and selling my novels.  This is my goal, so I’m seeking a new publisher—one who loves my writing.

This is precisely what you are looking for.  In most cases, writing is an art as well as a process.  Some people enjoy specific genre of novels, but not others.  Some people enjoy certain styles of novels and not others.  Rarely, you will find a person who likes all kinds of writing. 

Publishers are similar to readers—they like certain styles, types, and genre of writing.  That isn’t to say, they won’t jump at a great piece of writing that comes across their desk—as long as the writing is interesting to them and fits their market.

Basically, you need a publisher to fall in love with your writing.  That will guarantee the publication of your novel.  But as I noted, the fit is also necessary.  You can’t expect a publisher to fall in love with your writing if it doesn’t match their market, needs, or interest.  I’ll give you an example.

I’ll try to analyze my previous publisher’s like of my writing.  My previous publisher was seeking writing that was unique and redemptive but that appealed to a broad audience.  I think they had a wonderful stable of very good authors but there were a few standouts whose writing exactly fit their desires.  I’d like to think mine did exactly that.  They published five of my novels and had two on contract and a reprint when they folded.  I think my writing approach, style, and appeal was why they liked and published my novels.  This is what I am seeking in a publisher again.

I am in the tedious and time consuming process of submitting works to publishers.  I need a new publisher and this is the way to go about it.  I’ll lead you through the process and tell you about my successes and failures.  I’ll also show you how I am crafting and learning from the submission process.  I haven’t had to do this in about ten years, so it’s not new to me, but it is something I have to relearn.            

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:

fiction, theme, plot, story, storyline, character development, scene, setting, conversation, novel, book, writing, information, study, marketing, tension, release, creative, idea, logic

No comments:

Post a Comment