My Favorites

Friday, December 28, 2018

Writing - part x721, Writing a Novel, Fleshing Out Characters, The Fourth Day of Christmas

28 December 2018, Writing - part x721, Writing a Novel, Fleshing Out Characters, The Fourth Day of Christmas

Announcement: Delay, my new novels can be seen on the internet, but my primary publisher has gone out of business—they couldn’t succeed in the past business and publishing environment.  I'll keep you informed, but I need a new publisher.  More information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.
The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:
1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
     4a. Show what can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted on the stage of the novel.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.
These are the steps I use to write a novel including the five discrete parts of a novel:

1.      Design the initial scene
2.      Develop a theme statement (initial setting, protagonist, protagonist’s helper or antagonist, action statement)
a.       Research as required
b.      Develop the initial setting
c.       Develop the characters
d.      Identify the telic flaw (internal and external)
3.      Write the initial scene (identify the output: implied setting, implied characters, implied action movement)
4.      Write the next scene(s) to the climax (rising action)
5.      Write the climax scene
6.      Write the falling action scene(s)
7.      Write the dénouement scene
I finished writing my 29th novel, working title, Detective, potential title Blue Rose: Enchantment and the Detective.  The theme statement is: Lady Azure Rose Wishart, the Chancellor of the Fae, supernatural detective, and all around dangerous girl, finds love, solves cases, breaks heads, and plays golf.  
Here is the cover proposal for Blue Rose: Enchantment and the Detective
Cover Proposal
The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene, but eventually, you have to move to the rising action. I am continuing to write on my 30th novel, working title Red Sonja.  I finished my 29th novel, working title Detective.  I’m planning to start on number 31, working title Shifter
How to begin a novel.  Number one thought, we need an entertaining idea.  I usually encapsulate such an idea with a theme statement.  Since I’m writing a new novel, we need a new theme statement.  Here is an initial cut.

For novel 30:  Red Sonja, a Soviet spy, infiltrates the X-plane programs at Edwards AFB as a test pilot’s administrative clerk, learns about freedom, and is redeemed.

For novel 31:  TBD 

Here is the scene development outline:

1. Scene input (comes from the previous scene output or is an initial scene)
2. Write the scene setting (place, time, stuff, and characters)
3. Imagine the output, creative elements, plot, telic flaw resolution (climax) and develop the tension and release.
4. Write the scene using the output and creative elements to build the tension.
5. Write the release
6. Write the kicker
          
Today:  Why don’t we go back to the basics and just writing a novel?  I can tell you what I do, and show you how I go about putting a novel together.  We can start with developing an idea then move into the details of the writing. 

You must have a protagonist and an antagonist. You may have a protagonist’s helper.  Then there are other characters.  Let’s talk about characters in general and then specifically. 

I’ve been writing about choosing and developing protagonists who are interesting and entertaining to your readers.  Readers like characters who they can intellectually identify with.  These are the characters who appeal to them.  If there is no intellectual connection, there is usually no connection.  We saw this by the many characters whom readers can’t share any or many characteristics, but the characters still appeal.

For the Christmas Season, I guess I’m giving you scenes from my novels.  Merry and Happy Christmas.  Hope you enjoy.  This is a Christmas scene from Essie: Enchantment and the Aos Si.  I don’t think I’ve ever given this to you.

Everything remained pleasant until Christmas.  Following Essie’s large Christmas organ concert in Wrexham, they returned to Aunt Tilly’s house in Lyonshall.  The odd black Bentley with Mrs. Lyons usual driver just let them off at the front door and departed up the lane.  A Christmas tree with decorations and an advent wreath adorned the front parlor.  Essie pulled off her scarf and her coat in the entry and was about to put them away and cross the foyer to the hallway that contained her room.  She turned with both still in her hands and ran back to Mrs. Lyons, “Aunt Tilly, someone is in our house.”
Mrs. Lyons pulled Essie close, “Is it friend or foe?”
Essie stuttered, “I really can’t tell.”
“Are your associates around?”
“My associates?”
“Yes, any of your subjects?”
Essie pushed back slightly and grinned, “They remain close…”
At that moment, a girl about Essie’s apparent age stepped out of the kitchen.  She looked much too skinny—long and lanky.  Her skin appeared to be a washed out tan.  Her hair flowed black, long, and silky, but pulled back in a severe braid.  Her eyes, looked large, green and exotic.  The effect seemed striking, but it only partially decreased the practiced plainness of her face.  She wore dirty jeans and a dirtier flannel shirt.  The girl slid into the shadows at the side of the doorway.  She curled her nose in distain, “Who is that girl, Aunt Tilly?”
Mrs. Lyons relaxed.  She closed the front door and pulled off her hat, “Leila, this is my daughter Essie.  Essie, this is my very good friend’s daughter, Leila O'Dwyer.”
Leila took a short step forward, “Aunt Tilly, this girl isn’t entirely human.”
Mrs. Lyons stepped in front of Essie, “Yes, yes, yes, I know all that.  She is my daughter…and this is my house.”
Leila fidgeted, “I’m sorry.”
“Turn on the lights, Leila.”
Leila rotated the light switch and turned on the light in the kitchen and then the hallway.
Mrs. Lyons hung up her coat and wrap.  Essie did the same.  She didn’t move any closer to Leila.
Mrs. Lyons asked, “Leila, I suspect you are hungry.  Did you run away again?”
Leila shrugged. 
Mrs. Lyons pushed past her into the kitchen, “Essie could you make tea.”
Essie followed Mrs. Lyons.  When she came close to Leila, she moved as far away as possible and kept her eyes closely on the girl.
Leila stuck her hands in the pockets of her jeans and followed them into the kitchen.  Essie put the kettle on, and Mrs. Lyons went into the pantry to get bread, sausage, cheese, and butter.  Leila stood near the corner of the kitchen where she could keep an eye on Essie.
Essie kept a close eye on Leila.
Essie placed the tea things on the table.  Mrs. Lyons returned with a handful of food.  She laid it on the counter, and Essie immediately began to prepare it for the table.
Mrs. Lyons gestured to Leila, “Why don’t you sit down.  You’re safe enough here.”
Leila flounced down at the table in the chair furthest from Essie.  Essie placed everything on the table.  Mrs. Lyons sat.  Essie sat.  Essie picked up the teapot, “Ms. O'Dwyer, may I pour your tea?”
Leila nodded.
Essie poured tea all around.  She poured herself a drop and followed that with a cupful of milk.  Essie offered milk and sugar to Leila.  Essie then offered bread, sausage, and cheese to Leila.
Leila slowly relaxed a little.  She began to eat.  Once she began, it became very obvious she hadn’t eaten in a long time.  Essie ate cheese and sausage.  After a few moments, Leila wiped her lips, “I would be very appreciative if you wouldn’t tell my mother or my grandmothers where I am.”
“On your way to the Stonehouse in Scotland?” asked Mrs. Lyons.
“I’d rather not say.”
“Thought not.  When may I inform your mother and grandmothers?”
Leila squinted, “I’ll make you a deal.  I won’t tell mother or my grandmothers who you have in your house if you don’t tell them anything at all about seeing me.”
“Leila,” Mrs. Lyons voice became very firm, “This is my daughter, Essie Lyons.  Who do you think she is?”
Leila jumped, “This Essie person is simply tricking you—she is fae.  She stinks of fae, and she is not human at all.”
“Essie is my daughter.  I am taking care of her right now.”
Leila’s voice filled with disdain, “You have one of the most dangerous creatures in these islands inside your house.”
Essie grinned, “Are you certain you don’t mean yourself?”
Leila’s mouth opened—she sniffed, “That was uncalled for.”
Essie spoke very quietly, “I am a creature with a place.  I know I am loved…and I know I am feared.”
Leila sniffed once more.
Mrs. Lyons asked, “Did you run away from Hastings again?”
Leila kept her eyes on Essie, but she curled slightly in on herself, “They started in on papa again.  Mother became unhappy, and I became angry.”
“They didn’t run away.”
“They started in on me.”
Mrs. Lyons sipped her tea, “Why come here?”
“I was hungry.”
“It’s a bit out of your way.”
“I needed a bit of shoring up—I thought I’d get that here.  I didn’t expect to find this thing with you.”
“Leila, you listen to me, and you listen well.  Essie is not a thing.  If you are to remain here, you will treat her just as nicely as you would treat me.”
Leila flushed, “Aunt Tilly, whatever you think, this is a very dangerous creature.”
“And who told you that?”
“My grandmother.  It’s all the talk.  The Morfrans sent a special envoy to warn her.  They didn’t say you had taken it in.”
“Essie is not an it.  Do you have any idea who this person is?”
Leila glanced down a moment, “It isn’t a person.”
“Essie is person enough for me.”
Leila shut her mouth and ate from her plate.  She filled it more than once.
At the end of the supper, Mrs. Lyons asked, “Where is Scáth?”
Leila became more reticent, “I suspect she is looking for me.  She won’t expect me to take a round-about way.”
Mrs. Lyons stood.  She seemed all business, “Listen, Leila, you may stay as long as you like, but I’ll not have you speaking badly of Essie.”
Leila stood, “I’ll only stay for a while.  Don’t tell them, and I won’t let them know she,” Leila pointed with her thumb, “Is here.”
Mrs. Lyons picked up a couple of the plates, “You may stay as long as you wish.  Now, you wash, and Essie will dry.”
Leila went to help get the plates.  She remained as far from Essie as possible.  She washed, and Essie dried.  When they finished, Mrs. Lyons sent Leila off to bathe and set out night clothing for her.  Mrs. Lyons and Essie went to bed early.  They had a long day.
Essie and Leila slept late.  Essie didn’t wake easily until the sun was up anyway, and Leila shared similar proclivities, but for another reason entirely.  When Essie and Leila staggered into the kitchen, Mrs. Lyons already had eggs and bacon cooking.  Essie immediately went to make tea.  She wasn’t very carefully dressed—she still wore her night and dressing gown.  They both looked slightly wrinkled, and their hair poofed out in a frizz.  Leila wore her jeans and shirt from the night before.
Mrs. Lyons stared at them, slightly amazed how similar they both looked.  After breakfast, Essie and Leila cleaned up the dishes.  Essie dried and Leila washed.  When they finished, Mrs. Lyons insisted Essie change into a pinafore and blouse, and Essie went to practice on her keyboard.  Dressed more appropriately now, Leila followed them both into the guest parlor.
Leila listened while Essie played.  At a break, she asked, “Can you play more modern music?”
Essie began to play the radio pieces the girls at her school enjoyed.
Leila smiled at that.  When Essie finished, she asked, “Why are you practicing?”
Essie didn’t say anything, so Mrs. Lyons spoke for her, “Essie has organ concerts to give during the season.  Plus, she likes to play.”
Leila seemed amazed at that.
Mrs. Lyons added, “Essie is going to school.”
“Really?  That’s remarkable.”
“Why remarkable?  Aren’t you going to school?”
Leila stared at Essie.
Mrs. Lyons added, “The day is warm for December.  Why don’t you both go out into the garden together?  Don’t forget to wrap up.”
“You want me to go out with that…with her?”
“Why not?  Essie won’t bite.”
Essie opened her mouth and clamped her teeth together.
Leila snarled, “If she promises not to…”
Mrs. Lyons picked up her book, “Promises not to what?”
“Not to bite.”
Essie grinned, “I’ll not bite right away.”  She stood and went to get her scarf.
Mrs. Lyons pointed with her book, “Essie, get a scarf for Leila.”
Essie nodded.  She returned with a scarf around her neck and handed one to Leila.  Leila snatched it out of Essie’s hand.  Essie headed to the garden door.  Leila followed wrapping the scarf around her neck.
Essie led Leila out to the center of the garden.  She sat, then curled up on the large stone in the center.  It lay drenched in the cold December sunlight.
Leila sat on one of the benches.  It took a while for the stone seat under her to heat up.  Finally, she asked, “Who are you exactly?”
Essie opened one eye and rolled onto her back, “I’d rather not say.  Who’s your grandmother?”
“I’d rather not say.”
“Who’s your mother?”
“Same to that.”
Essie closed her eyes again.
“You aren’t really fae and you certainly aren’t human.  Just what are you?”
“Who’s your grandmother?”
Leila growled, “This isn’t a game.”
“But it is a game.  You answer my question, and I’ll answer your question.”
“Very well.  If that’s the way it must be—you should know who my grandmother is.  She’s Ceridwen.”
Essie made a depreciating noise and closed her eyes.
“Wait one moment.  You aren’t playing fair.  I answered your question—you need to answer mine.”
“My answer might disturb you.  Are you certain you want to hear it?”
“Of course.”
“The White Lady is at war with me.”
Leila’s voice came out in a squeak, “You didn’t answer my question, but does that mean you are one of the evil ones?”
Essie rolled over and stared at her, “I serve the Dagda.  I have always served the Dagda.  The White Lady has not always served my master.”
Leila stood, “How can you say that—and how can my grandmother be your enemy?”
“In this age, the White Lady had me caged and beaten for as long as I can remember…”
“Caged and beaten?  I don’t believe it.”
“You should believe it girl of darkness.  The White Lady had me kept in a cage and let me be beaten to prevent me from taking my place.”
“Does Aunt Tilly know this?”
Essie raised her hand and stared at the bright sun through her fingers, “My mother rescued me from the cage and from them.  Do you want to see my scars?”
Leila sat again and leaned forward, “Perhaps later.”
“That would prove it.”
“Wait one moment.  How much does Aunt Tilly know?”
“She knows a lot more than she lets on.”
“Does she know who you are?”
“Of course.”
“Then who are you?”
Essie sat up and patted the stone at her side.
Reluctantly, Leila stood and sidled up to the place.  She sat a good yard from Essie on the stone, “Now tell me.”
“Do you believe me?”
“For now, I will.”
“Girl of Darkness, I am the Aos Si.”
Leila stared at her uncomprehending.
“There, I told you who I am.  Now, I get to ask another question.”
Leila scowled at her, “But I don’t know what an Aos Si is.”
“Not what…the…the Aos Si.  Now I get to ask, who is your mother?”
“If you call me the Girl of Darkness, then you know who my mother is, and you wasted a question.”
Essie smiled.
Leila’s scowl increased, “Why would my grandmother cage and beat you?”
“That is another question entirely, and you haven’t answered mine.”
“Very well, my mother is the Goddess of Darkness.”
“Then you are less human than I am.  Do you follow the Dagda?”
“Of course—and that is your question.  What is the Aos Si?”
“I am the Aos Si.  If your grandmother follows the Dagda, why would she cage and beat me?”
“That is another question, and one I can’t answer.”
“Then, Girl of Darkness, now you now know why you shouldn’t let the White Lady know where I am.  Not if you also follow the Dagda.”
Leila puzzled this thought for a long moment, “Would she cage and beat you again?”
“Only the White Lady can answer that question, but what do you think?”
“Why does my grandmother fear you?”
“She held me from my place…”
“I can’t imagine that my grandmother doesn’t always accomplish good.  She must uphold the Mantle of the Land and rule over all the Courts with justice.  That is her place.”
Essie examined her fingernails, “Has she always done good?”
“No, no she hasn’t.  Even I know that.  Before she fully bowed her neck to the Dagda, she didn’t.”
“I have always followed the Dagda.”
Leila appeared slightly chastened, “Then what is your place?”
Essie leaned back in the bright sunshine and allowed it to caress her face, “That is an appropriate question.  I think it is my turn, but I will answer you.  My place is to rule over the fae courts—all of them.”
Leila snapped back, “Then she kept you from your place—prove that you rule the fae.”
Essie raised her hand, “I don’t like this new kind of game—I don’t usually need to prove myself, but I will show you because you ask and because I wish your support.”  A small sprite came immediately to Essie summons.  The creature appeared like a small woman dressed in nearly transparent gossamer.  The sprite bowed with a slight tremble toward Essie and kept a good distance from Leila.  Leila tried to move closer to get a better look at the sprite.
Essie put up her hand, “Don’t antagonize my subject.”    
Leila leaned back.
Essie spoke Welsh to the small creature, then she began to sing.  The sprite smiled beautifully and then disappeared.
Leila ducked her head, “That was a creature of the Tylwyth Teg.  She only came from the Welsh fairies.”
Essie turned Leila a hard look, “Must I call each of the fae courts to prove my place to you—I could, but I will not.  My servants have much better things to do.”
Leila sputtered, “I guess, it’s enough.”
“It is obviously not enough for you.  I shall call a creature from the Unseelie court, and you shall know.”  Essie barked a command.  From the undergrowth in the garden a short being shambled out toward them.  This creature looked extremely ugly.  It wore a tight dark red-brown cap with a tall peak.  Its face and body appeared misshapen.  It turned a cruel glance at Leila, but as pleasant a smile as possible to Essie.  It couldn’t bow very well, but made an obeisance to Essie.  Leila heard its voice, harsh and strange.  She couldn’t understand a word.
Essie turned slightly toward Leila, “This Redcap asked if it should take your body and soul for me.”
Leila trembled.
Essie began to sing again and the Redcap disappeared.
“I thought only Morgan le Fey could order the Unseelie.”
“Morgan le Fey obeys my commands, and mine alone.  That is why the White Lady fears me.  Now, I get to ask a question.  Why did you run away?”
Leila turned slightly away from Essie, “I hate Christmas…”
“That isn’t a proper answer.”
“But it is the only one I’ll give.”
Essie stretched.  She yawned then stood, “Then come inside and read a book to me.”
Leila glanced at her, “Why should I read a book to you?”
“Because it would please me, and it would also please you.”
Essie headed back to the guest parlor.  Leila slowly followed her.  Essie allowed Leila to choose the book.  Leila read to Essie for the rest of the afternoon. 
They went to the Royal George Pub for dinner that evening.  Essie and Leila both ate shepherd’s pie.  Leila ate the potato top and the vegetables.  Essie did not.
That evening, Leila came into Essie’s room well after Mrs. Lyons had gone to bed.  Essie seemed to be expecting her.  Essie sat up in bed.  She whispered, “Did you come to see the scars?”
Leila closed the door quietly.  She nodded.
Essie turned on the light on her night table.  She pulled off her nightgown.  Leila stood unmoving for a moment.  Essie was naked.  Leila slowly moved toward Essie.  Essie turned so her back remained fully revealed to Leila.
Leila sucked in her breath.  She moved more quickly and sat behind Essie on the side of the bed, “They look terrible.  Do they hurt?”
Essie shrugged, “They are a little stretchy when I play sports, but they don’t hurt me much anymore.”
“Did my grandmother, Ceridwen really do this to you?”
“She ordered my capture and abuse to prevent me from using my power.”
Leila’s voice cracked, “Why would she do something so, so…bad as that?”
“The fae asked her.”
Leila sounded incredulous, “Why…why would they ask for that?”
“The fae do not wish me to rule over them.  I am dull and I am ugly.  The White Lady is both intelligent and beautiful.  She is a temptation to the fae.  They asked her to allow my capture and my incarceration.  She allowed it…nay, she ordered it.”
Leila stared at Essie’s back, “May I touch it?”
Essie shrugged.
Essie gently felt the marks that marred and cut into the flesh on Essie’s back, “Did you revenge yourself on them?”
“You said I am a dangerous creature…the most dangerous—what do you think?”
“I…I don’t know.”
“What would you do?”
Leila stroked the marks on Essie’s back, “I would give back what was given and more.”
Essie turned suddenly, and Leila started back.  Leila moved her eyes away from Essie’s front.  Essie smiled, “This is where I am much different from the White Lady and from you.  I blessed them.  I gave them peace—although I did threaten them.”
Leila’s hands shook, “Why…how could you do that?”
“Didn’t I tell you?  The Dagda was always my Master.  I forgave them when they repented.  I did not take revenge on any of them.”  She added, “They could not do anything else but repent.  They are made to love me, and I am made to love them.”
“What about the Morfrans?”
Essie let out a great smile, “Like the Dagda, I await the time when I may forgive them.  Perhaps I’ll threaten them…  I’ll not take revenge in any case—that is not my nature.”
“What about my grandmother?”
“I’ll not take a revenge on the White Lady.  I will simply await her repentance.  She is my equal.”
“Even if she hurt you?”
“I am a creature made by the Dagda for this purpose.”
“To be abused and hurt?”
“Yes, to be abused and hurt.”
Leila glanced at Essie again, “Put on your nightgown.”  She reached for the clothing and helped Essie pull it back over her head.  Leila stood.  She walked to the door.  “I ran away because they were cruel to my father and mother.  I insisted they forgive them, and caused a huge row.”  She turned slightly back toward Essie, “They hate me too, but there are other reasons.”
“There are always reasons for people, even beings like me, to cause pain and suffering to others—I simply choose not to.”
“Even when you might be hurt by it?”
“Especially when I might be hurt by it—that is my purpose.  I am not the White Lady—I don’t provide chiding love.  I provide unconditional love.”
“I see.”  Leila returned to her bedroom.  She couldn’t stop the tears that flowed when she thought about Essie or her grandmother.  The two seemed so different, but in some ways very much the same.  How she could imagine that of a girl who looked no more than fifteen, she couldn’t comprehend.  While Leila lay in bed, Essie came into her room and slipped under the covers.  She put her arms around Leila.  Leila didn’t say anything.  She fell asleep with the comfort of Essie’s warm body next to hers.
This is a fun novel that I hope is published soon.

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:

fiction, theme, plot, story, storyline, character development, scene, setting, conversation, novel, book, writing, information, study, marketing, tension, release, creative, idea, logic

No comments:

Post a Comment