My Favorites

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Writing - part xxxx556 The Novel, Enchantment Novels

04 October 2026, Writing - part xxxx556 The Novel, Enchantment Novels

Announcement: I still need a new publisher.  However, I’ve taken the step to republish my previously published novels.  I’m starting with Centurion, and we’ll see from there.  Since previously published novels have little chance of publication in the market (unless they are huge best sellers), I might as well get those older novels back out.  I’m going through Amazon Publishing, and I’ll pass the information on to you.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I’m using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I’ll keep you informed along the way.

Today’s Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing websites http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus two basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don’t confuse your readers.

2. Entertain your readers.

3. Ground your readers in the writing.

4. Don’t show (or tell) everything.

     4a. Show what can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted on the stage of the novel.

5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

6. The initial scene is the most important scene.

 

These are the steps I use to write a novel including the five discrete parts of a novel:

                     1.     Design the initial scene

2.     Develop a theme statement (initial setting, protagonist, protagonist’s helper or antagonist, action statement)

a.      Research as required

b.     Develop the initial setting

c.      Develop the characters

d.     Identify the telic flaw (internal and external)

3.     Write the initial scene (identify the output: implied setting, implied characters, implied action movement)

4.     Write the next scene(s) to the climax (rising action)

5.     Write the climax scene

6.     Write the falling action scene(s)

7.     Write the dénouement scene

I finished writing my 31st novel, working title, Cassandra, potential title Cassandra: Enchantment and the Warriors.  The theme statement is: Deirdre and Sorcha are redirected to French finishing school where they discover difficult mysteries, people, and events.

I finished writing my 34th novel (actually my 32nd completed novel), Seoirse, potential title Seoirse: Enchantment and the Assignment.  The theme statement is: Seoirse is assigned to be Rose’s protector and helper at Monmouth while Rose deals with five goddesses and schoolwork; unfortunately, Seoirse has fallen in love with Rose.     

Here is the cover proposal for the third edition of Centurion:

A book cover of a person wearing a helmet and a red cape

AI-generated content may be incorrect.

Cover Proposal

The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene, but eventually, you have to move to the rising action. I am continuing to write on my 30th novel, working title Red Sonja.  I finished my 29th novel, working title Detective.  I finished writing number 31, working title Cassandra: Enchantment and the Warrior.  I just finished my 32nd novel and 33rd novel: Rose: Enchantment and the Flower, and Seoirse: Enchantment and the Assignment.

How to begin a novel.  Number one thought, we need an entertaining idea.  I usually encapsulate such an idea with a theme statement.  Since I’m writing a new novel, we need a new theme statement.  Here is an initial cut.

For novel 30:  Red Sonja, a Soviet spy, infiltrates the X-plane programs at Edwards AFB as a test pilot’s administrative clerk, learns about freedom, and is redeemed.

For Novel 32:  Shiggy Tash finds a lost girl in the isolated Scottish safe house her organization gives her for her latest assignment: Rose Craigie has nothing, is alone, and needs someone or something to rescue and acknowledge her as a human being.

For novel 33, Book girl:  Siobhàn Shaw is Morven McLean’s savior—they are both attending Kilgraston School in Scotland when Morven loses everything, her wealth, position, and friends, and Siobhàn Shaw is the only one left to befriend and help her discover the one thing that might save Morven’s family and existence.

For novel 34:  Seoirse is assigned to be Rose’s protector and helper at Monmouth while Rose deals with five goddesses and schoolwork; unfortunately, Seoirse has fallen in love with Rose.

For novel 35: Eoghan, a Scottish National Park Authority Ranger, while handing a supernatural problem in Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park discovers the crypt of Aine and accidentally releases her into the world; Eoghan wants more from the world and Aine desires a new life and perhaps love.

Here is the scene development outline:

1. Scene input (comes from the previous scene output or is an initial scene)

2. Write the scene setting (place, time, stuff, and characters)

3. Imagine the output, creative elements, plot, telic flaw resolution (climax) and develop the tension and release.

4. Write the scene using the output and creative elements to build the tension.

5. Write the release

6. Write the kicker

Today:  Let me tell you a little about writing.  Writing isn’t so much a hobby, a career, or a pastime.  Writing is a habit and an obsession.  We who love to write love to write. 

I want to start with these definitions as a premise for writing.

1.     Write to entertain

2.     Write using the common outline for a novel

3.     Develop a telic flaw, a protagonist, an antagonist, and plan to resolve the telic flaw.

4.     Start with an initial scene.

5.     Develop and define a modern protagonist: you get a telic flaw, a potential protagonist’s helper, and a potential initial scene from the development.

6.     Write to reveal the protagonist.

 

And here is the scene:

 

1. Scene input (comes from the previous scene output or is an initial scene)

2. Write the scene setting (place, time, stuff, and characters)

3. Imagine the output, creative elements, plot, telic flaw resolution (climax) and develop the tension and release.

4. Write the scene using the output and creative elements to build the tension.

5. Write the release

6. Write the kicker

I’m working on finishing my latest novel number 33, Book girl:  Siobhàn Shaw is Morven McLean’s savior—they are both attending Kilgraston School in Scotland when Morven loses everything, her wealth, position, and friends, and Siobhàn Shaw is the only one left to befriend and help her discover the one thing that might save Morven’s family and existence.

I cleaned up the breadcrumbs.  I reached a point where I think it’s a good idea to segway to a new topic.  I mentioned a new book I want to independently publish, Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon.  I am working on that using my author friend’s recommendations for the publishing.  I also did finish the first draft and an edit for Bookgirl.  I do need to complete the marketing data for Bookgirl.  I need to stop calling the novel Bookgirl.  I’ve titled it Anu: Enchantment of the Goddess.  How I went from Bookgirl to Anu is a story on its own.  I haven’t checked the title yet, but I think the Enchantment titles are still safe.  Perhaps I should mention how I got there.

 

Back when I first started seriously writing novels, the first three were science fiction.  They were later regularly published as the Chronicles of the Dragon and the Fox.  They are a trilogy of The End of Honor, The Fox’s Honor, and A Season of Honor.  They are about honor, ha ha.  They are also set in the far future and very exciting and adventurous—mostly about space warfare.  They deserve a better showing in the future, and I might republish them.  My first bout with republishing has not been the best.  Amazon Publishing and I’m not sure any independent or partner publishing is any good.  Xulon did well for me and my novel The Second Mission, but I think Xulon is too steeped in the religious publishing part of the business for my novels.

 

My novels are not religious, but they do incorporate religious ideas in a unique way.  I consider them mainstream and my audience is mainstream.  Even my novel Centurion, although it is about the Centurion who crucified Christ, is not really as much a religious novel as a history novel.  I intend for the nonreligious and those who like history to read it.  Christian groups and marketing generally rejected Centurion because it is too earthy and realistic for them.  As I wrote, more a history than a supernatural excursion in religion.  Of course my science fiction doesn’t really include any religion, although I’d like to change that.  I really need to rewrite the second science fiction series I’ve written called the Ghostship Chronicles.  The ideas in it are based on psionics, but I’d like to bring in more religion just like Alexi Panishin, Fank Herbert, and Jack Vance did to connect the present to the future through some religious ideas, mostly Christianity.  The very idea is intriguing and interesting to me.  I think it would tickle my readers and potentially empower the novels even more.

 

I got to the Enchantment novels because of Aegypt.  I wrote Aegypt early as a horror/suspense novel.  Today, suspense is considered a dead genre, at least for now.  You can’t even use the word when describing a novel for publishing or marketing.  It’s likely overused and will come back soon enough.  It’s like the word literary.  Don’t even touch it.  Literary is considered a dead classification and genre for writing.  Even the classics, which are dying mostly because people can’t and won’t read are dying as literary.  In any case, I wrote Aegypt and if became a series when my regular publisher go ahold of it.  They wanted the next two novels: Goddess of Light and Goddess of Darkness.  They renamed them to Sister of Light and Sister of Darkness for their audience and publishing niche.  I was happy with that, I was on contract for a trilogy and two new separate books—then my published went out of business.  I was still writing.  Between the time the books were contracted and the final gasp of my publisher I had written seven Aegypt novels.  The series was called Ancient Light by my publisher.  During the time I was happily writing my Ancient Light novels based on the fact my publisher wanted them all—I had some other inspirations.  Most of these were based on the world of Ancient Light but off track for the main drive of Ancient Light.  What does that mean?  Ancient Light was a series based on two goddesses who were brought back to life from about 2000 BC or so.  One was the Goddess of Light and the other the Goddess of Darkness.  In the series, I followed these goddesses in their fight for and against humanity.  The children of the Goddess of Light, Leroa, and her warrior, Paul Bolong, continued the fight with different foes, but all supernatural. 

 

In the new series of novels, I call the Enchantment novels, I took the supernatural ideas and the world of Ancient Light and expanded the fight to other characters and in different ways—thus I arrived at Anu: Enchantment of the Goddess from Bookgirl.  Perhaps I can give you more about this and the ideas around the Enchantment series.

 

I started writing the Enchantment series with Hestia: Enchantment of the Hearth.  I even used some of my commentators from my blog to help me with the title.  I wanted to begin a series roughly connected to Ancient Light, but not completely connected with Ancient Light.  I would use the organizations and some of the characters, but I wanted to play in different places and with different ideas.  I figured that the concept from Ancient Light would have enough legs to support a new and different series—and I was right.

 

What is the basis for Ancient Light you might ask?  In Ancient Light I asked the question about bringing real goddesses from the past into the present.  I did and defined their lives and interactions in the world, but that brought up a question that I played with in Sister of Darkness.  If real goddesses existed in the past, then what happened to the gods and goddesses that lived back then.  I introduced Leora to the gods and goddesses of Britain who still existed, and who worked to protect Britian in the dark days of World War Two.  Sister of Darkness was all about World War Two.  I brought in the gods and goddesses from the past into the present and the times.  I also developed the idea that the kings and queens of certain nations, that still had kings and queens, knew of the gods and goddesses and still helped balance their nation with the courts of the land.  These ideas filtered through Ancient Light as the basis for the novels, but I kept the gods and goddesses rather tightly bound to the Celts and the Gaelic peoples and generally to Britain. 

 

With Hestia: Enchantment of the Hearth, I moved the world of Ancient Light to Greece.  I developed the idea that certain Greek gods and goddesses as well as certain Greek demigods still existed.  I created a world within the real based on the mythology of the Greeks to make a modern time mystery and novel.  In Hestia: Enchantment of the Hearth, Hestia, the goddess of the hearth is accidently called into the modern world by an archeologist.  This leads to some very interesting problems for the archeology dig and the four members of the dig.  It also gives a problem for Hestia who just wants to be returned to her eternal contemplation of the hearth in Olympus.  I mix the modern and the ancient world where the characters discover that the Orthodox church has been working mostly with demigods from the beginning.  The problem with demigods for the Greeks is that there are so many of them and their being is encapsulated in an item rather than in their bodies.  Control of the item gives control over the demigod.  I use this as a metaphor as well as an idea for the novel.  While the characters are trying to resolve Hestia’s problem, they are also trying to resolve the protagonist, Angela’s problem, and the problem of the demigods and demigoddesses.  Everything revolves around the control of the people by the old gods, and Hestia is helping to oppose that.  It’s a fun and short novel filled with entertainment and excitement.  You can see it is in many wants different from the Ancient Light novels but still carries a similar theme.  This is exactly what I intended to do with my Enchantment series.  It allowed me to explore new ideas with similar themes, but to expand into different parts of the supernatural.  I’ll explain that about Anu and bring in the novel I’d like to independently publish next, Aksinya.        

 

There’s more.

 

I want to write another book based on Rose and Seoirse, and the topic will be the raising of Ceridwen—at least that’s my plan.  Before I get to that, I want to write another novel about dependency as a theme.  We shall see.

 

More tomorrow.

For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:

http://www.ancientlight.com/
http://www.aegyptnovel.com/
http://www.centurionnovel.com
http://www.thesecondmission.com/
http://www.theendofhonor.com/
http://www.thefoxshonor.com
http://www.aseasonofhonor.com

fiction, theme, plot, story, storyline, character development, scene, setting, conversation, novel, book, writing, information, study, marketing, tension, release, creative, idea, logic

No comments:

Post a Comment