My Favorites

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Writing Ideas - Writing Science Fiction, part 27 Science Fiction Characters

27 August 2013, Writing Ideas - Writing Science Fiction, part 27 Science Fiction Characters

Announcement: My novels Sister of Light and Sister of Darkness are about to be published. I write this blog about 2 months prior to its publication. I just heard that the proofs will be here soon--likely before the end of the week. My publisher also wants to put the entire set of novels based on Aegypt on contract--that's 5 more novels for 8 total. They also want to put my other novels on contract. The release schedule should be one novel every 2 months. I'll keep you updated.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.
Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.
2. Entertain your readers.
3. Ground your readers in the writing.
4. Don't show (or tell) everything.
5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

What makes a character a science fiction character?  They must obviously think differently than those in the modern world.  Their development comes out of their culture.  The culture comes out of the setting.  If you remember, the setting must be a science fiction setting.  The setting drives the culture that drives the characters.

As you develop your characters, you must expect them to act according to their culture and their development.  Now, it is possible to have a character act anti-cultural, but you need to understand what that really means.  A character must act within their character--no matter what that is.  A character can act counter to his or her culture, but that part of the character must always be the same.  The development of the character and the characters' actions must be as expected and within character.

It is also possible to have a character intentionally act outside the bounds of her or his character.  Generally, these are specific turning points and we can either expect the character to change or for the event to be a one time event.  In developing your plot these are critical events that define your character.  This is also how your characters tie directly into the plot--and theme.  

Also remember, I'm trying to show you and give you examples of how to write a science fiction theme statement and turn it into a plot.

For more information, you can visit my author site www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel.com/, http://www.centurionnovel.com, www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, www.thefoxshonor.com, www.aseasonofhonor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment