My Favorites

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 783, Input of the Second Scene


2 June 2016, Writing Ideas - New Novel, part 783, Input of the Second Scene

Announcement: Delay, my new novels can be seen on the internet, but the publisher has delayed all their fiction output due to the economy.  I'll keep you informed.  More information can be found at www.ancientlight.com.  Check out my novels--I think you'll really enjoy them.

Introduction: I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. This was my 21st novel and through this blog, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel beginning with http://www.pilotlion.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-novel-part-3-girl-and-demon.html.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way.

Today's Blog: To see the steps in the publication process, visit my writing website http://www.ldalford.com/ and select "production schedule," you will be sent to http://www.sisteroflight.com/.

The four plus one basic rules I employ when writing:

1. Don't confuse your readers.

2. Entertain your readers.

3. Ground your readers in the writing.

4. Don't show (or tell) everything.

     4a. Show what can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted on the stage of the novel.

5. Immerse yourself in the world of your writing.

All novels have five discrete parts:

1.  The initial scene (the beginning)

2.  The rising action

3.  The climax

4.  The falling action

5.  The dénouement

The theme statement of my 26th novel, working title, Shape, proposed title, Essie: Enchantment and the Aos Si, is this: Mrs. Lyons captures a shape-shifting girl in her pantry and rehabilitates her.

I just started writing my 27th novel, working title, Claire, potential title Sorcha: Enchantment and the Curse.  This might need some tweaking.  The theme statement is: Claire (Sorcha) Davis accepts Shiggy, a dangerous screw-up, into her Stela branch of the organization and rehabilitates her.  

Here is the cover proposal for Essie: Enchantment and the Aos SiEssie is my 26th novel.

Cover Proposal

The most important scene in any novel is the initial scene, but eventually, you have to move to the rising action.  I’m editing many of my novels using comments from my primary reader.  I finished my 27th novel, working title Claire.  I’m working on marketing materials.

I'm an advocate of using the/a scene input/output method to drive the rising action--in fact, to write any novel. 

Scene development:

1.  Scene input (easy)

2.  Scene output (a little harder)

3.  Scene setting (basic stuff)

4.  Creativity (creative elements of the scene)

5.  Tension (development of creative elements to build excitement)

6.  Release (climax of creative elements)

 

How to begin a novel.  Number one thought, we need an entertaining idea.  I usually encapsulate such an idea with a theme statement.  Since I’m writing a new novel, we need a new theme statement.  Here is an initial cut.

 

Red Sonja, a Soviet spy, infiltrates the X-plane programs at Edwards AFB as a test pilot’s administrative clerk, learns about freedom, and is redeemed.

 

The output of the initial scene becomes the input for the next scene.  The output was the promise to take Dorothy to dinner.  She prepares for dinner and Mike picks her up.  The end of this scene, the output, will likely be Mike’s promise to get her settled and started the next day.  At some point I need to weave in the history from the times and place.  The earliest date I have is 8 June when the X-15 engine blew up during a ground test.  This will definitely be a buildup in the novel.

 

There is much more to the overall plot than you might imagine.  The Soviets would not send a spy for a highly technical program who wasn’t trained and knowledgeable about aerodynamics, aircraft, and rockets.  Red Sonja was educated in all these things.  This will help provide her winter of discontent.  The tension created by a person who was steeped in tyranny, who is suddenly in a truly free place will play heavily in the novel.  This will help produce her issues and the overall tension in the novel.

 

Imagine a person from the very poor USSR who has been used to survival rations.  When she has plenty to eat and all great food.  When she sees everyone can eat this food.  Imagine a person from the very restrictive USSR who sees freedom of expression and freedom of religion and freedom to have weapons.  What about the scope of money and purchasing power.  Red Sonja has been taught that the poor workers have nothing, but the rich wealthy have everything.  How can she explain her own story, a Kansas farmer’s daughter who has a GS-4 job in an X plane program.  Or how Mike, the son of a sharecropper can be a pilot in such a program.  These conundrums have similar resolutions—their resolution in the plot will lead to her change (plus other problems).

     

More tomorrow.


For more information, you can visit my author site http://www.ldalford.com/, and my individual novel websites:

fiction, theme, plot, story, storyline, character development, scene, setting, conversation, novel, book, writing, information, study, marketing, tension, release, creative, idea, logic

No comments:

Post a Comment