My Favorites

Saturday, March 26, 2011

A New Novel, Part 174 I Slowly Feed Them the Work

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.


Natalya went missing for a night and returned with two books of sorcery Ernst had in his possession.  Natalya put off Aksinya's questions by giving her the books.  It is evident, now, that Aksinya is afraid to ask.  She has abandoned hope. She made her descent to the point where she no longer cares about almost anything.  Natalya allows Aksinya to sleep late...

Sister Margarethe crossed the street to Sacré Coeur before Aksinya was ready. Aksinya, and of course Natalya missed chapel, but they were just in time for their German class with Sister Margarethe.

In the class, Aksinya slumped in her seat. She yawned. When Sister Margarethe came around to review the work and lessons she assigned, she turned a smile toward Aksinya, “Countess, your work is well done today. Your study last night paid off.”

As usual, Sister Margarethe didn’t spend much time with Natalya. While keeping her eyes on Aksinya, she stated, “Your work, Lady Natalya, on the writing is well done. I didn’t find a single error. Your accent is also improving. Keep at your studies, and encourage the Countess to continue to complete hers.”

When Sister Margarethe was out of earshot, Natalya whispered, “Did you work last night on your German?”

Aksinya cocked her head, “Of course not, silly. I spent all night reading my new book. I just finished some of her earlier exercises the other day. You know that’s what I do for every class—I slowly feed them the work so they don’t get too upset with me. In spite of that, you know I am serious about study—I just have other things I need to study too.”

Natalya nodded at that. She began to study the current assignment Sister Margarethe had assigned her.

This is the first time Aksinya has missed chapel--did you catch that.  I showed you before through Aksinya that she begged Natalya to make certain that she didn't ever miss chapel, yet she missed today.  I know many of these changes and actions are subtle, but since when did great literature smack you over the head?  They made German class.
 
Aksinya is not asleep; Aksinya is bored.  Listen to what happens.  Aksinya no longer gives any pretense of study.  She doesn't defend her actions.  She allows the lies to be full and unapologetic.  She didn't study any German last night.  We know exactly what Aksinya studied last night. 
 
Sister Margarethe is deluded, and she is prejudicial toward her love, Aksinya.  Aksinya does not hide her lies anymore, at least from Natalya.  For the first time, we all get to know exactly how Aksinya has been fooling her teachers.  She is not honest with herself or with others, but we knew that.  What we didn't know before was the level she was going to. 
 
I'm subtly showing you the degree to which Aksinya has fallen.  You know she is really no different than before, but her response to circumstances is different.  Tomorrow, about the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment