My Favorites

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A New Novel, Part 189 I Locked and Barred Her Door

A New Novel, Part 189 I Locked and Barred Her Door


For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.


Aksinya confessed and told the priests and Matushka of the Ecclesia exactly who she was. The priests and Ekatrina are speaking together about what they should do...
Father Makar mumbled, “We still have to decide what to do with her.”


Father Dobrushin leaned back in the chair and the front legs raised a little off the floor.

Ekaterina tapped the table top and pointed at the chair.

Father Dobrushin lowered the chair to the floor, “Sorry.” He slouched a little in the seat, “Tomorrow morning, when she wakes, I’ll talk to her and try to get more information from her. Father Makar, why don’t you go speak to Reverend Mother Kluge at Sacré Coeur? She will know something about it.”

“What if we find the police are seeking her?”

Father Dobrushin opened his hands, “Why don’t we cross that road when we get there. For now, she is here and under our care.”

“What about the girl she said she killed?”

“Lady Natalya? I remember her. A member of the Russian court. You should find out how we can help her. If she is dead, she will need an Orthodox funeral. If she is alive, she will need all the help we can give her.”

“I understand. The Countess is delusional. The Lady is likely safe in her bed right now...”

Father Dobrushin smoothed his beard, “What I worry about is this demon, Asmodeus.”

“Surely you don’t believe any of that.”

“I don’t know what to believe. I know I will spend much of my time in prayer this evening about this very thing. I will also study everything I can to determine what we might do against such a demon.”

“I don’t believe any of it.”

Ekaterina puffed out her cheeks, “All I know is this girl’s clothing caught on fire from a crucifix around her neck. I can’t explain that either. How much less faith does it take to imagine a demon?”

Father Dobrushin cracked his neck and rubbed the back of his head, “I’m tired. It’s time to go to bed.” He stood, “Matushka, did you lock her door?”

“Yes. I locked and barred it.”

Father Dobrushin stretched, “Whatever happens, our little sorceress faces a lot in the future. It would be unwise for us to let her out of our sight for now.”

The same question yesterday, is the question today.  What will they do with Aksinya?  Father Makar thinks she is insane.  We are not certain what Ekaterina or Father Dobrushin think of her.  I warned you to imagine what others might think about Aksinya's confession.

I want to draw your attention to the youth of Father Makar and the character of Matushka Ekaterina.  The Father leans back in his chair and Ekatrina, like a mother, draws his attention to it to correct him.  Father Dobrushin is taking Aksinya's situation in a serious manner.  Notice, he knows the name of the Reverend Mother and of the school.  Aksinya and Natalya were going to the Ecclesia for a while.  It would be expected for the priests to know something about them.

Then Father Dobrushin brings up the topic of the demon.  This is a foreshadowing; about the demon, Father Dobrushin will spend time in thought, prayer, and study.  He is taking Aksinya and her problem seriously--as I mentioned.  Ekatrina brings up her little piece of proof.  This was enough for the Matushka.  She is willing to imagine anything based on this evidence.  We find that Ekatrina locked and barred Aksinya in her room.  They are not taking any risks.  Then we get a kicker and a nice word from Father Dobrushin: “Whatever happens, our little sorceress faces a lot in the future. It would be unwise for us to let her out of our sight for now.”  Tomorrow, Aksinya awakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment