My Favorites

Saturday, June 11, 2011

A New Novel, Part 250 This Verdict Shall Stand Unless Revoked by Rome

11 June 2011, A New Novel, Part 250 This Verdict Shall Stand Unless Revoked by Rome

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

The day of Aksinya's ecclesiastical trial has arrived.  The charges of sorcery against Aksinya have been proven by witnesses--first Herr Mueller then by her friends...

The Archinquisitor tapped his paper, “The innocence of these three is still in question.  I wish to question them.  First, Herr Taaffe, did you know the Princess Aksinya was a sorceress?”
“Princess…?” He glanced at Aksinya, “I knew the Countess was a sorceress. Yes.”
Aksinya groaned, “You need not confess to such a thing.  I will not lie, but I don’t wish them to lie on my account.”
The Archinquisitor grinned, “Herr Taaffe are you lying?”
“No, I knew she was a sorceress.  That is why I sought her out.”
Aksinya collapsed in her chair, “I am guilty and not they.”
“We shall see.  How about you, Lady Natalya Alexandrovna Obolenska.  Did you know the Princess Aksinya was a sorceress?
“Yes, I became her apprentice for that reason.”
Aksinya cried, “I tricked them.  I forced them.”
“And you, Sister Margarethe?”
“I knew.  She never harmed anyone.  This I swear.”
“But you knew and never informed your Reverend Mother or your priest, the Abbot.”
“I never told them.”
“Why?”
“Because I love the Countess.  I would do anything for her—to protect her.”
Aksinya let out a great cry.
Archinquisitor Gallo smacked his lips, “Herr von Taaffe, you affianced, the Princess Aksinya, yet you knew she was a sorceress.”
Aksinya yelled, “He never affianced me.”
The Archinquisitor wheeled toward her, “Why did you not?”
Natalya spoke quietly, “Because I seduced, Herr von Taaffe to protect her.”
Aksinya roared, “Shut up, Natalya.  You…you.  Please don’t do this.  I already told you I am a sorceress.  What do you gain by smearing my friends?”
The Archinquisitor smiled, “I think the guilt of all these individuals can be attributed to the Princess Aksinya.  Therefore, I am ready to pronounce my verdict on all of them.  This verdict shall stand unless revoked by Rome.”

Now the case against Aksinya comes all together.  There is no place for lies here.  Although Ernst lied before, he believes by acknowledging that Aksinya is a sorceress he will help her.  Her guilt of sorcery has been determined by witnesses.  Ernst tried at first to keep it ambivalent, but Aksinya's confession is too much.  Her friends don't see anything to gain by lying.  They thing they are helping Aksinya.  Aksinya has already confessed.  They see the truth that Aksinya protected them and that they love her.  They don't understand what is going on in this trial. 

The Archinquisitor knows much about this situation.  He even draws out Natalya's confession that she seduced Ernst.  The press is covering this trial.  Everything will be in the papers tomorrow.  This will mean the ruin of Aksinya, Natalya, Ernst, and Sister Margarethe.

The result of the trial is determined--that Aksinya is guilty.  What hasn't been determined yet is who else is guilty.  This is what the Archinquisitor desires.  He wishes to spread Aksinya's guilt all around.  This was the goal of the demon.  We shall see the result tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing writing here, love your blog. I'll gladly follow! Please drop by the prairie to say hello!

    Susie Rosso Wolf
    newprairiewoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete