My Favorites

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A New Novel, Part 232 I Must Put Crosses on my Dress

24 May 2011, A New Novel, Part 232 I Must Put Crosses on my Dress 

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Aksinya is locked in a cold dark cell under the residence of the Cardinal of Wien.  Aksinya almost died of exposure because the demon took her dress.  Now, she is back in her cell with warm blankets, but the demon could take them away...

After Secretary Schwab, Otto, and Frau Becker departed, Frau Mauer took her position again beside the door.  The moment Aksinya finished praying her rosary she felt better, she called to the Frau, “Frau Mauer, may I borrow a needle and thread?”
Frau Mauer took a quick glance at Aksinya.  Aksinya sat on the bench wrapped in the blankets, “Of course you may not have a needle and thread.  What would you want with something like that anyway?”
“I must put crosses on my dress.”
“Crosses on your dress?  You are a strange one.”
“If I don’t he’ll just take it off me again.”
Frau Mauer stared at Aksinya and nervously fumbled her sewing, “Did you lie to the secretary and Frau Becker?  Did some man molest you?”
“The demon took off my clothing to punish me.”
Frau Becker’s eyes widened, “I think Frau Becker is right, you are crazy.”
“I may be crazy, but I need to put crosses on my clothing and on these blankets.”
“You shan’t get any needles or thread from me—not unless the Secretary himself instructs me.”
Aksinya sat back and pouted.  She felt much better, but she knew that wouldn’t last long if the demon returned and took her dress and the blankets from her again.  She only knew one way to fight Asmodeus.  She thought for a while about how she might put crosses on her clothing and the wonderfully warm blankets.  After a long time, there was only one thing she thought she could use.  Under the cover of the blankets, she began to prick at her hand with a sharp point of her rosary.  After a few minutes she drew some blood and made a couple of satisfactory crosses on the hem of her dress.  At that point, she couldn’t get much more blood without going deeper into her hand than she wanted to.  She thought for a while then began to prick at the large vein at the side of her wrist.

Frau Mauer is Aksinya's guard again.  Aksinya asks for a needle and thread, but Frau Mauer won't loan them to her.  Aksinya tells the Frau exactly why she needs the needle and thread.  Do you remember, the effect of the crosses on the demon.  The crosses did prevent Asmodeus from removing Aksinya's clothing.  She knows they can protect her in the cell.

Frau Mauer's thoughts are not pleasant.  She can't imagine anything good about Aksinya.  Do you see that her reaction and the reaction of Frau Becker will be the reaction of everyone else.  If Aksinya imagines a demon, she must be crazy. 

Since Aksinya can't get Frau Mauer to give her a needle and thread, she must discover another way to protect herself.  Aksinya is used to using blood as a sacrifice.  This time, she is using blood to protect herself, but it isn't through a spell.  She is using blood to make crosses on her clothing and blankets.  Aksinya may be resourceful, but she just is too innocent and naive.   Tomorrow, success, but at what price.

No comments:

Post a Comment