My Favorites

Monday, May 2, 2011

A New Novel, Part 210 Even They Aren’t Looking

2 May 2011, A New Novel, Part 210 Even They Aren’t Looking

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

The priests and Ekaterina are discussing Aksinya and Natalya in the kitchen of the rectory.  They have no idea that Aksinya is listening in the darkness by the door…

Father Dobrushin continued, “Whether she is insane or not, is not the main question to my mind. What I want to know is does the Cardinal seek her, and what happened to the Lady Natalya?”


Father Makar hunched over the table, “The Lady Natalya is certainly not dead.”

Father Dobrushin and Matushka Ekaterina stared at him.

Father Makar shrugged, “I went to every funeral in this city since the Countess came to us. I saw the dead. The Lady Natalya was not among them. Unless the Catholics are hiding something more sinister than a lady-in-waiting, I am certain, she isn’t dead.”

“Then where is she?”

Father Makar shrugged again, “If I knew, I would tell you. I honestly don’t know. I’ve checked with anyone who was close to the two of them.”

Ekaterina asked, “What about Ernst von Taaffe?”

“To tell you the truth, I have not been able to approach him. He is in seclusion. From what the Countess told us, I’m sure he would have nothing to do with the Lady Natalya. I was shocked myself when I heard what happened. The poor boy was embarrassed and certainly stripped of his honor.”

“You checked at her house.”

“I check every day. No one answers. No one is there.”

“But no one is looking for her?”

“Not as far as I can tell.”

Father Dobrushin clasped his hands on the top of the table, “I just can’t believe it. Surely her aunt and uncle…”

Father Makar shook his head, “Even they aren’t looking.”

Ekaterina scowled, “Do you think they were so shocked by what happened?”

“No idea.”

Father Dobrushin pressed his hands more tightly together, “I’m not gong to let her out of the Ecclesia yet. For now, I think it is too dangerous.”

Father Makar cocked his head, “If they aren’t looking, then there is no danger for us. Maybe no one wants a crazy woman like her.”

Ekaterina’s voice was soft, “Hush Makaruska, have you thought, that perhaps we are the only ones who might care for her. She is not like most people. She is a little strange, but she has no place else to go and no one else to turn to.”

I start with a repeat of the statement from yesterday by Father Dobrushin.  His questions are also our questions.  Then we get a shocking revelation from Father Makar: “The Lady Natalya is certainly not dead.” This is new news to Father Dobrushin and Ekaterina.  We discover that Father Makar, although he doesn't trust or like Aksinya, he is still thorough.  He is seeking Natalya.  Did the thought come to you that the church in Wien might be hiding something?  Don't worry, they are, kind of, but nothing as sinister as the death of Natalya. 

Father Makar goes on to tell us that he has checked with everyone close to Aksinya and Natalya.  Then Ekaterina asks about Ernst.  Now, you begin to see the destruction Aksinya through the demon caused.  Ernst is in seclusion.  He is stripped of honor.

Then we find again, no one is at Aksinya's house.  This is a portent.  No one is looking for Aksinya.  Isn't that odd?  Then Father Dobrushin brings up Aksinya's aunt and uncle.  Of course they aren't looking for Aksinya.  Do you remember from the very beginning, Asmodeus threatened Aksinya that he would strip the Bockmanns of their honor and position.  The Bockmanns would rather that Aksinya never come back.  They want to forget and ignore the girl who caused them such an uproar.  I don't get into everything yet, you will see it all in its glory soon enough, but you might be able to guess just what is going on under the surface.  

Then, I give you the big one.  I've had Father Dobrushin mention this twice before: “I’m not gong to let her out of the Ecclesia yet. For now, I think it is too dangerous.”  Is is too dangerous, and dangerous for whom?  Okay, if I've given it out 3 times now, you know this is important.  Father Makar answers harshly, that no one may be looking for Aksinya.  Aksinya, we know, has no one to turn to.  She has no place to go--you didn't hear me say that, ha.

Tomorrow, more of the conversation Aksinya isn't supposed to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment