My Favorites

Sunday, July 3, 2011

A New Novel, Part 272 You May Dine There

3 July 2011, A New Novel, Part 272 You May Dine There 

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Aksinya is on trial in Wien, Austria.  The presiding judge found Aksinya not guilty of the fraud charges against her.  He did so because her debt had already been paid.  The judge then released the court for lunch...

“Therefore, I release this Schöffengericht for luncheon.  At one we shall begin with the assault and battery charges.  Sergeant Nagel, there is no reason to return the Princess to her cell.”  Judge Richter stood and the other judges followed him out their respective doors.  The courtroom began to empty.  A clump of reporters stood at the back and waited for Father Dobrushin and Aksinya to walk out the main door.
A policeman conferred with Sergeant Nagel, and the Sergeant motioned to Father Dobrushin, “Sir, you may follow me to the private luncheon room in the Rathaus.  Judge Richter instructed me that you should dine there.”
“Thank you.”  Aksinya and Father Dobrushin followed the Sergeant out the side door of the courtroom

Okay, I should have given you this yesterday.  I wasn't managing my pieces as well as I should.  This is a transition.  I left it at the end of the chapter.  By the way, I broke the chapter at this point only because it was convenient.  This trial chapter is already 28 pages, and I like 20 pages in a chapter--I know that is arbitrary, but it seems to me to be a good length for reading and for a chapter.

You have seen the trail up to this point.  The judge found Aksinya not guilty of fraud and dismissed the charges against her.  He also left open the opportunity for her to file counter charges for the return of her goods and money.

The judge is obviously taken with Aksinya.  She has changed and is an engaging person.  Before, she was not very likable, now her knowledge mixed with her lack of sophistication in some areas makes her seem very pleasant.  The judge tells Father Dobrushin that they may eat in the dining room in the Rathaus.  This is a great privilege.  The judge is protecting her from the reporters and from being returned to her cell.  He doesn't think she will run away, and he doesn't think she is dangerous. 

At the end of the chapter, we have a natural transition out of the courtroom.  The destination is the dining room.  Tomorrow, scene setting for chapter 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment