My Favorites

Saturday, July 9, 2011

A New Novel, Part 278 Am I Not Guilty?

9 July 2011, A New Novel, Part 278 Am I Not Guilty?

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Aksinya is on trial in Wien, Austria.  We discover Natayla is being kept by Ernst.  We also discover that Natalya has been advised by Father Dobrushin.  Aksinya and Natalya may never see one another again...

Natalya laughed, “I have never been taken care of in my life.  I care for others, that is what I am called to do.  That is also what pleases me.”
The doors behind the large desk opened and the judges stepped to their seats.  The Bailiff stuck his staff against the ground, “Hear ye, hear ye, this Schöffengericht shall pronounce judgment in the name of Emperor Charles the first of Austria and the Republic of German Austria.  May the justice of the Lord God Almighty reign in all the affairs of men.”
Judge Richter didn’t sit.  He shuffled his papers for a moment, “Princess Aksinya Georgovna Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov also known as the Countess Golitsyna, the unanimous verdict of this Schöffengericht is that you are not guilty of any of the charges brought against you in this court.”
Aksinya stared at the Judges.  She turned her head toward Father Dobrushin.  Natalya beamed.  Aksinya asked, “What does it mean?  What is he saying?  Am I not guilty?”
Father Dobrushin whispered, “You are not guilty.”
“But I am guilty of something and especially certain sins.”
“That’s not what this court was to determine.”
Aksinya obviously didn’t understand.
Natalya took Aksinya’s hand, “That is wonderful, Princess.  You shall go free.”
Aksinya swallowed against a lump, “I shall never be free, but I am happy not to go to prison.”
The judge continued to speak.
Aksinya almost clapped her hands together, “Now he will tell me the truth about my guilt.”
Father Dobrushin shushed her.

The court returns to session so that the judges may render their verdict.  They find Aksinya not guilty.  We guessed this might be the result.  We hoped for this result, but it wasn't necessarily to be expected.  The demon has perhaps been thwarted, or then again, perhaps not.

Aksinya is surprised by the verdict.  She can't imagine that she is not guilty.  Aksinya thinks in terms of her sin and not in terms of guilt in a court.  We know she understands judicial process, but she is used to noble judgement and a noble court.  Aksinya is expecting more from the judge.  Note the writing techniques I use to show you Aksinya's response without telling you anything.  Tomorrow, more judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment