My Favorites

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A New Novel, Part 285 What Do You Gain From This?

16 July 2011, A New Novel, Part 285 What Do You Gain From This?

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Father Dobrushin took Aksinya to dinner.  He told her he is willing to marry her to help her be rid of the demon.  They are discussing what they must do...

Aksinya was acutely aware of the man beside her.  She licked her lips, “So what must we do?”
“We must be married then, before we come together, we must burn this with incense, and pray.  Finally, we must like Tobias and Sarah consummate the marriage.”
“If it is not done in the proper way, the demon will kill you.  If this doesn’t work…”
“I’ll be dead, and you will still be under the contract of Asmodeus.”
“And still a virgin,” Aksinya murmured.
“What did you say?”
She smiled, “I would like to try this, but now, more than ever, I don’t wish to lose you.”
“I don’t want to die either.”
“If you found some other man to…”
“I don’t think you understand me at all.  I am not willing to give you to any other man.”
Aksinya stared at him in surprise, “Do you mean that?”
“Absolutely.”
“Then if you don’t love me, you feel possessively toward me.  You paid my bills and took me under your protection.  It is almost as if you bought me,” she laughed. “Then you desire me that much.”
“I admit.  I do desire you.”
“What do you gain from this?  I am nothing.  I have nothing.”  She lowered her face, “There is a string of horror in the wake of my life.  It is all because of my choices.  You would not obtain wealth.  You would not obtain innocence.  You would not gain notoriety.  The opposite is true.  My name has been paraded in the papers as a sorceress.”

Aksinya is driven by her desire, but also she is a very intelligent woman.  She is very aware that she owes her freedom to Father Dobrushin.  She owes very much to him and he is willing to marry her.  We still haven't fully heard the real reason he wishes to marry her, but note he doesn't tell her he loves her.  Love has not perhaps blossomed or Father Dobrushin is cautious not to call desire and will love--perhaps they are and he understands love about as well as Aksinya.

Father Dobrushin tells Aksinya they must do as Tobias and Sarah did in combating Asmodeus.  His plan is exactly what happened in Tobit.  If it doesn't work, Father Dobrushin will be dead.  Aksinya does not want to lose him.  Note, she does desire him.

Father Dobrushin makes a statement that should make any woman happy: "I am not willing to give you to any other man.”  This does please Aksinya.  She doesn't think much of herself.  She repeats the list of things Father Dobrushin did for her.  In her perverse way, she turns it into a question of business--of a contract--he has bought her. 

Okay, are you getting the point here.  Father Dobrushin paid her debt, he bought her, he is willing to die for her, he is willing to become a bridegroom for her.  Does anyone get this metaphor.  The demon, on the other hand, was called by Aksinya and she contracted with him.  He gave her nothing and only caused her suffering and pain. 

Then Aksinya fires both barrels.  She demands from Father Dobrushin:“What do you gain from this?"  Perhaps she isn't really looking for an answer.  She simply is afraid for him.  Tomorrow, the real reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment