My Favorites

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Marketing Materials - A Marketing Website, Secrets

20 September 2011, Marketing Materials - A Marketing Website, Secrets

Introduction: I realized that I need to introduce this blog a little.  I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon.  The working title was Daemon, and this was my 21st novel.  Over the last year, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing.  In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes.  You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel.

I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published.  I'll keep you informed along the way.  At this moment, I'm showing you the marketing material I put together for a novel.

Today's Blog:  Let's face facts--everyone likes secrets.  Having secret pages, like Easter eggs, on your website is a great feature for both fans and accidental visitors.  You can't make them too secret.  Just labeling your secret information pages as secret is enough to generate interest and drive searches.  Browsers like "secrets" too.

So put up a secrets page.  You can find mine from each novel website by clicking on the novel title, the novel cover picture, or the button labeled "secrets."  You see the point, right?  You want a secrets page but you don't want it to be too hard to find.  Many visitors won't know to look, but if you give them a button or at least a mouse over, they will find the secrets.

So, what do you put on a secrets page?  I'll tell you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment