My Favorites

Sunday, August 7, 2011

A New Novel, Part 307 You Are Worth It

7 August 2011, A New Novel, Part 307 You Are Worth It

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Dobrushin and Aksinya decided to marry so that they can be rid of the demon.  The marriage ceremony ended.  Dobrushin and Aksinya are now husband and wife, at least by the measure of the Orthodox Church.  Still, the marriage must be consummated, that is the point in Tobit.  This is the end of the chapter... 

Aksinya held tightly to Dobrushin’s arm.  She would not let go.  Ekaterina embraced her, “You are now married.”
Father Makar smiled for just a moment, then frowned, “Yes, you are married.  I wish every peace I can offer you.  I do pray for you.  Especially, you Dobrushin to come to your senses.”
Ekaterina stuck her tongue out at him, “Makeruska, you married them.  They have no senses to come to anymore.  Bless you, I say.  Bless you.”  She glanced at Father Makar, “And no, they will not stay for tea or to talk.  They have better things to do.”  She grinned at Aksinya, who blushed.
“I’ll hire a carriage,” Dobrushin stated.  Aksinya let go of his arm by stages.  Father Makar announced, “I’ll help him.”
Aksinya and Ekaterina were left together in the Ecclesia.  Ekaterina put her hands on her hips, “Do you plan to try it tonight?”
“Yes, we must.  There is no other choice…how did you know?”
“Dobrushin told me what he had in mind.  He asked my advice.”
Aksinya turned her eyes away, “What did you tell him?”
Ekaterina embraced Aksinya, “I told him you were worth it.”
“Worth the loss of his work, the loss of his friend, and potentially the loss of his life?  Am I worth all that?”
“And more, sweet Princess Aksinya.”
“I have been a Princess of darkness, the Queen of the Night.  I intend to be a princess of light.”
Father Makar called from the Holy Doors, “The carriage is here.”
Ekaterina kissed Aksinya’s cheeks, “You are worth this and much much more, never forget that Princess.”
Aksinya kissed Ekaterina’s cheeks in return, “Yes.  I shall never forget, but I’m not certain I believe it.

Aksinya and Dobrushin are married.  I didn't want you to miss that point, so I had Ekaterina say it.  Watch the players.  Aksinya still holds for dear life to Dobrushin.  Although they are married, nothing has really changed.  Father Makar smiled, then frowned.  He was happy that they married, but not happy with what that portends.  How much does he know?  Then some levity--Ekaterina's response to his words.  Ekaterina knows Makar very well.  He would delay with his friend, but again levity.  You can get the joke here--that's why Aksinya blushes.

Makar wants to speak to Dobrushin and Ekaterina wants to speak to Aksinya.  This is an occasion and example of not showing everything.  I never let you know what Dobrushin or Makar spoke about--there is no need.  Aksinya and Ekaterina's conversation is the most important here.

Ekaterina asks immediately: “Do you plan to try it tonight?”  She means more than sex.  She means getting rid of the demon--do you remember Dobrushin's plan?  Do you think it will work?  We discover that Dobrushin asked Ekaterina's advice.  You can guess how much advice he asked.  Likely if he should wed Aksinya.   About how Aksinya might react.  I suspect Dobrushin shared and asked Ekaterina about everything involved with his decisions and actions.  Aksinya is interested in this very question.  She has no jealousy--do you see her curiosity?  She wonders what Ekaterina might have advised Dobrushin.

We get a wonderful answer:  Ekaterina embraced Aksinya, “I told him you were worth it.”  Worth what, but we know the answer to that--in case you might miss it, I place the answer on Aksinya's lips: "Worth the loss of his work, the loss of his friend, and potentially the loss of his life?  Am I worth all that?”  There is much more she could have said--I wanted to remind you of the major parts, but we know Dobrushin gave up much more than that.  The culmination is that he might yet lose his life.

Then I give you a piece from the novel--it is a connection.  Do you remember Aksinya at the opera with Ernst?  Die Zauberflöte was the Opera and Aksinya compared herself with the Queen of the Night.  She calls herself once a princess of darkness, but that now she will be a princess of light.  She has found someone who is willing and perhaps able to turn her into the heroine of the story.

The Father Makar calls from the Holy Doors--Aksinya entered and left by the rectory door before--this time she and Dobrushin will leave by the Holy Doors.  Then Ekaterina's final words to Aksinya: “You are worth this and much much more, never forget that Princess.”  And Aksinya's return: “Yes.  I shall never forget, but I’m not certain I believe it."  She won't forget, but she can't believe.  Tomorrow, the beginning of the last chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment