My Favorites

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A New Novel, Part 317 I Like to be in Control

17 August 2011, A New Novel, Part 317 I Like to be in Control

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Dobrushin and Aksinya married.  They consummated their marriage and are speaking together... 

“You were much more passionate before.”
“Shall I be passionate again?”
“Yes,” she trembled as she stroked his face, “But I have an important request.”
He tried to make out her face in the dim light, “A request.”
“It’s wet and sticky over here.  Can I sleep on your side of the bed?”
Dobrushin let out a great laugh, “It’s a little damp over here too.”
Aksinya scowled, “What did you do to me?”
“Didn’t you like it?  Wasn’t it what you always desired?”
“Yes, but I didn’t think it would be so messy.”  She pressed herself very close to him, “I want to be on top this time.”
He smiled again and tried not to laugh, “Why?”
“I like to be in control, and the wet place will be on your side and not mine.”  She placed her lips on his and did not remove them.
Aksinya had him twice more and both times she was on top.  They slept very late into the next day.                     

I always wanted to use this kind of scene and event as a kicker.  The point is to show love between married people.  Too often the only passionate lovemaking between people is illicit.  I wanted to show a married couple who were delighted with one another.  I've done this with my other novels to one degree or another, but this novel, because of it's tie to marriage, I wanted to be a little more detailed and intimate. 

The scene at the end is one that plays out often in real life, but I wanted to make the joke stick and drive the point of Aksinya's personality home.  It is a fun end and a gentle conclusion to a novel that has been very tense throughout.  The novel could end here, but I had a much better idea.  I wanted to resolve it a little more tightly, so I have a secondary dénouement.  It's really an epilogue, but I don't like epilogues, so I'll just tie it to the end of this chapter and tomorrow we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment