My Favorites

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Using the Files for Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon

27 August 2011, Using the Files for Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon

Yesterday, I mentioned that when I was done with Aksinya (Daemon), I had 22 chapter files, a Word outline file that linked the 22 chapter files, a normal Word file of the complete novel, a pdf of the complete novel, and a pdf of the first chapter.  Each of these separate files have a unique purpose.

1.  22 chapter files - these are the files I edit.  These are the basis files for the novel.  I triple back them up and treat them like gold.
2.  Word outline file that linked the 22 chapter files - this is your word count, formatting, and overall novel working file.  I don't like to edit in this file.  The chance of really screwing something up is too high.  It is the easiest way to get the entire novel into a single file with formatting.
3.  Normal Word file of the complete novel - this is the file I will send off to a publisher.  That is, if they ask for the entire manuscript.  This is also the file I will send to my prepublication readers.
4.  A pdf of the complete novel - this is the file to send to other reviewers.  Because a pdf can't aesily be messed with, this is the kind of file to give to those you trust less than your prepub readers.
5.  A pdf of the first chapter - this is the file you want to put everywhere.  I use it on the novel's website and put it on scribed.  I don't mind people reading and getting this file.  Since it is a pdf, it can't be messed with easily and it can be read. I want to get the work out into other people's hands.  Since this is the most exciting beginning scene and chapter, this is the piece of the novel that should excite people to continue reading.

The formatting of the final complete novel is important.  I'll discuss that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment