18 October 2011, Marketing - to Publishers Electronic Press more Formatting
Introduction: I realized that I need to introduce this blog a little. I wrote the novel Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon. The working title was Daemon, and this was my 21st novel. Over the last year, I gave you the entire novel in installments that included commentary on the writing. In the commentary, in addition to other general information on writing, I explained, how the novel was constructed, the metaphors and symbols in it, the writing techniques and tricks I used, and the way I built the scenes. You can look back through this blog and read the entire novel.
I'm using this novel as an example of how I produce, market, and eventually (we hope) get a novel published. I'll keep you informed along the way. At this moment, I'm showing you the marketing material I put together for a novel.
Today's Blog: Okay, about formatting. A book is normally formatted like this:
1. Frontispiece: page with the title on it and that is all. Opposite of the frontispiece is blank.
2. Title page: page with the title, author, and publisher on it.
3. Opposite the title page is the copyright page.
4. Dedication page. Opposite the dedication page is blank.
5. Preface or prologue.
6. Opposite the prologue is blank (or the prologue/preface continues).
7. The first paginated page follows on the right side. This is the beginning of the novel.
This is general and you can have more pieces in the beginning--if you are wise, you won't have many more than this. You also need to look at a professionally published electronic book and see how the publisher did it. If you go to my sites, you can see how my publisher put together my novels. You need to make yours a similar quality.
More tomorrow about formatting electronically published books.
I'll repeat my published novel websites so you can see more examples: http://www.ldalford.com/, and the individual novel websites: http://www.aegyptnovel.com/, http://www.centurionnovel.com/, http://www.thesecondmission.com/, http://www.theendofhonor.com/, http://www.thefoxshonor.com/, and http://www.aseasonofhonor.com/.