26 August 2011, Getting the File Together for Aksinya: Enchantment and the Daemon
Yesterday, I showed you how I set a title. I'm not totally happy with this one, but for now, it works. The next step is to get the files together. If you write into a single file, this isn't a necessary step, but If you are like me and save each chapter separately, this is a required step.
First, let's assume you've edited the first copy about five times. That's the minimum number that I do before I'm ready to move out with a manuscript. All of the steps I'm mentioning are accomplished at the same time.
So, after the first cut of the novel, and a few editing run throughs, I'm ready to prepare the complete book file and a pdf. I write in chapters and save the chapters individually. For example, Aksinya (Daemon) has 22 chapters. Each one is an individual file. I use the outline view in Word to bring the chapter files into a single document. I get the word count and format this document for presentation to publishers. Then I cut the files loose from the individual files and produce a file that includes all of the novel. This is the file I send to a publisher who wants the entire manuscript.
I turn the file that includes the whole novel into a pdf, and I make the first chapter into a pfd. So, when I was done with Aksinya (Daemon), I had 22 chapter files, a Word outline file that linked the 22 chapter files, a normal Word file of the complete novel, a pdf of the complete novel, and a pdf of the first chapter.
Each of these files has a purpose. I'll write about that tomorrow.