My Favorites

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A New Novel, Part 316 We Will Go to America

16 August 2011, A New Novel, Part 316 We Will Go to America

For those who haven’t been following this blog, let me introduce it a little. I am currently blogging my 21st novel that has the working title Daemon. The novel is about Aksinya, a sorceress, who, to save her family from the Bolsheviks, called and contracted the demon, Asmodeus. Her family was murdered anyway, and she fled with the demon from Russia to Austria.

Dobrushin and Aksinya married.  They consummated their marriage and are speaking together... 

When she caught her breath, she brushed the hair away from his forehead, “You gave up your position as priest for me.”
“At this moment that is what you are thinking…?” He smiled at her, “But the answer is yes.”
“You would have given your life for me.”
“But in the end, you saved me.  I don’t think Raphael would have been able to cancel any harm the demon would have done to my body.”
She stroked his face, “Did the demon injure you?”
His voice cracked, “No, but the demon almost stole my beloved, my wife.”
She smiled and kissed him, “Truly your wife now.”  She nestled in his arms, “What will we do in the future?  Where will we go and what will we do?”
“We will leave Wien.  I have been working in immigration law.  The Americas are a place where many of our Russian compatriots are escaping…”
She snuggled closer to him, “We will go to America?”
“To Boston in the United States.  I already made connections.  They are looking for lawyers who can speak Russian.”
Aksinya pouted, “They speak a kind of English there.  How will we communicate?”
“We shall learn English.”
“Yes, I guess.  You’ve thought this through for a long time.”
“I realized early that Father Makar would oppose any help I gave you, and I knew that you would require much help.”
Her pout deepened, “Am I such a problem?”
“Yes, Aksinya, you are a very great problem.  Plus, I don’t think there is a diminutive for Aksinya.”  He rolled to face her, “What will I call you, wife?”
Aksinya wasn’t certain she should frown or smile.  She harrumphed and plucked at her lip, “My father called me Aksyusha, but I would like you to call me, Aksenyushka or perhaps Princess.”
“Very well, I shall call you Princess Akenyushka.  May I kiss you?”
“Yes, you may kiss me all you wish.”  Their lips touched. 
“You were much more passionate before.”
“Shall I be passionate again?”

There is an old joke I will not repeat--it isn't very dirty, but it speaks to the thoughts of women during intimate moments.  Men perhaps are too one tracked--women want to know what is going on.  Aksinya is all woman.  She is thinking about how much Dobrushin loves her.  So much that he would give up his position and his money and his life.  The joke here is that Dobrushin isn't certain why she is thinking these things, his thoughts are somewhere else completely.  Then, we see, he does understand her thoughts.

Then Aksinya wants to know his plans.  Can you see the wheels going around in her head?  If he doesn't have a job or any prospects, how can he take care of her.  Although Aksinya has learned to live with very little, she doesn't wish to starve and this is post WWI Austria. 

You shouldn't be surprised that Dobrushin has everything planned out.  He planned everything from the beginning.  He is a planning type of person.  He knows exactly what he will do--just as he planned out everything in working with Aksinya. 

Aksinya isn't so sure about America.  She will have to learn English!  Listen to Dobrushin's response: "I knew that you would require much help.”  Aksinya is a great problem.  She was a great problem for the demon, for Natalya, for Ernst, for Sister Margarethe.  Aksinya is a person who can't help being a problem.  It is good that Dobrushin understands this.  He uses humor to distract her.  Aksinya can't go any further with this because she knows she is a problem.  The joke is that all the diminutives for Aksinya sound more proper than Aksinya (I picked this name for this reason).

Dobrushin extends this joke and so does Aksinya.  She certainly doesn't want her lover and husband  to call her by her father's pet name for her, but Aksenyushka is just silly.  Dobrushin is just as silly.  He shall call her Princess Aksenyushka.  You can guess that he calls her princess.  Then, a gentleman, he asks if he can kiss her.  This is what Aksinya wants.  She has not been allowed physical love all her life, and she wants to be loved.  We get a little joke here too.  Tomorrow, details of sleeping together.

No comments:

Post a Comment